Acutes? Elevation and Wilderness First Aid

Here you will find all the discussions from the time this group was hosted on YahooGroups and groups.io
You can browse through these topics and reply to them as needed.
It is not possible to start new topics in this forum. Please use the respective other forums most related to your topic.
Scghomeopath

Acutes? Elevation and Wilderness First Aid

Post by Scghomeopath »

My daughter is hiking the John Muir Trail from Yosemite to Mt Whitney in September. I am trying to equip her with a small first aid kit for the trek. There may be altitude sickness, bad water to drink, digestive stuff from all the dehydrated foods she has to backpack, heat, mostly endurance as she will be hiking 15 miles per day for 21 days!!!!

I am thinking of several remedies but wanted to get people's advice so my mother nerves can relax!!!

Ideas so far
1. Arnica
2. Hypericum
3. Ledum
4. Calendula cream
5. Nux-v
6. Arsenicum
7. Bell
8. ruta
9. rhus tox
10. podo

Would love to hear your ideas about being the best prepared!!!

scg
Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

Jean Doherty

Re: Acutes? Elevation and Wilderness First Aid

Post by Jean Doherty »

Would add Aconite ,[ shock], Apis [allergic swelling], Hepar sulph [infection of cuts and scrapes],coca [altitude sickness ]

Soroush Ebrahimi

Post by Soroush Ebrahimi »

Pauline Ashford

Post by Pauline Ashford »

Hi there scg – Good list – I would also add Apis – not sure what types of creepy crawlies you have over there but in the advent of an allergic reaction to ‘something’ that far from help – it may be useful.

Also if there’s ‘heat’ what will the risk of sunburn be like???? Cantharis can make the difference between pain and comfort if sunburnt.

I also pack a couple of sachets with some rehydration formula of some kind – either proprietory or homemade (1tsp salt 1tsp bicarb 4 tsp sugar dry in packet – to be mixed with 1 litre of water if ever needed)

Anyway what an adventure for her – hope she has a great trip.

Regards Pauline
From: minutus@yahoogroups.com [mailto:minutus@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scghomeopath@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, 19 August 2007 12:12 AM
To: a.ruchira@abhalight.org; minutus@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Minutus] Acutes? Elevation and Wilderness First Aid
My daughter is hiking the John Muir Trail from Yosemite to Mt Whitney in September. I am trying to equip her with a small first aid kit for the trek. There may be altitude sickness, bad water to drink, digestive stuff from all the dehydrated foods she has to backpack, heat, mostly endurance as she will be hiking 15 miles per day for 21 days!!!!

I am thinking of several remedies but wanted to get people's advice so my mother nerves can relax!!!

Ideas so far
1. Arnica
2. Hypericum
3. Ledum
4. Calendula cream
5. Nux-v
6. Arsenicum
7. Bell
8. ruta
9. rhus tox
10. podo

scg
Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

Irene de Villiers

Post by Irene de Villiers »

> Good list - I would also add Apis - not sure what types of

And I'd add Lach 200C (for snake bite, poisonous spider bite, other
serious critter bites.)
Urtica urens tincture (diluted to lotion) is a good burn remedy too,
used liberally.
Re-Hydration needs potassium included. Pedialyte with your own flavour
added for example.
Indeed.
Namaste,
Irene
--
Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
P.O. Box 4703 Spokane WA 99220.
www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."

Dale Moss

Post by Dale Moss »

Washington Homeopathics in West Virginia and Bethesda, MD, has a nifty 50-remedy kit that I use in the wilderness. It's better to include a broader range of remedies, since you can't anticipate all the problems that may arise. Get the 30c potency version, but add a vial of Arnica 200c for more serious trail mishaps.
A Safewater Anywhere bottle is a wonderful thing to carry as well. Easier to use than pump filters and virtually unbreakable. The only disadvantage would be that your daughter wouldn't be able to process a quantity of water beyond the capacity of the bottle, since the filtration part is achieved by drinking.
Having just finished Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, I wish her much luck and good gear.
Peace,
Dale

Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

For altitude sickness add Coca 30 to your list as I have never known it fail.
Rochelle
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ideas so far
1. Arnica
2. Hypericum
3. Ledum
4. Calendula cream
5. Nux-v
6. Arsenicum
7. Bell
8. ruta
9. rhus tox
10. podo

scg
Registered Homeopath
EFT(Advanced) Practitioner
www.southporthomeopathy.co.uk

Marco Franzreb

Post by Marco Franzreb »

I have seen it fail in 5000 meters. But maybe it was started to late (on the day of arrival at the altitude).
Marco
Dr. M. Franzreb Corbelletti
Castellana 171 Bajo izda., 28046 Madrid
www.drmarcofranzreb.com
Tel.: 914491957
Fax: 914491965
Enviado por dispositivo Blackberry

Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

I tell people only to take it when they get the symptoms not beforehand so
maybe it is not infallible :-)