Eff.org on Privacy

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Debra Lamana

Eff.org on Privacy

Post by Debra Lamana »

I'm glad that several members are talking about privacy -- yet for those still not sure how using online groups that are mined by big data corporations can be a risk to themselves and what they write, here is a link to another excellent site, the Electronic Frontier Organization, that may be able to explain more than I can.
https://www.eff.org/issues/privacy

Every article shared thus far is explaining that everything we write is being mined by corporations and marketing agencies and most egregiously, the alphabet surveillance agencies of this country --the data is stored in their mega-sized databases. We have seen the ongoing attacks on homeopathy and natural health practitioners by the media and conventional medical establishment. To realize that this will not only continue but likely increase in its targeting of those who are not in the mainstream, is a serious cause of concern.
Using online groups like YG, FB and Groups.io that profit hugely by allowing all sorts of corporations to data mine user content, we put ourselves at risk even if our belief is that we have nothing to hide, so why worry? Eff,org helps to explain more about this.
https://www.eff.org/issues/privacy

If you have not read much about what is taking place in China, take the time to read about social credit scoring of the population and how that limits access to basic tasks of life such as buying groceries, medical care, plane travel -- all of which are being restricted to those in the population who are seen as less than mainstream, meaning just having an opinion that differs from the authorities. You can now find articles reporting that this type of social credit scoring is a hugely profitable endeavor that is being taken on by Silicon valley big tech corporations in our own country -- it may be called something different than the system in China, yet will be used in the name of security in the not too distant future. I wish that this were not true, too .
Read, read and read some more . . . Deb

Ellen Madono

Re: Eff.org on Privacy

Post by Ellen Madono »

Hello all,

I see what you mean Deb. Certainly, the Chinese government has made data mining a daily fact of life and we in the non-Chinese sphere are headed in the same direction.

Is there a hidden place that others who really want to know about homeopathy and can reach it, yet it is not open to data mining. Seems like a contradiction. If you want to be open to the public, you are also vulnerable.
Ellen Madono

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

Hi Ellen,
I would think that one of the biggest concerns about groups that are allowed to be data mined is the problem with handing over archives to them that contain references to our personal views and any and all issues to do with homeopathy, which is not accepted as equivalent to mainstream healthcare.

Observing what is happening at FB and G00gle and other huge data companies (collection sites), it would seem to be a realistic concern that they and groups like .io could claim the right to confiscate or delete what they see as non mainstream and not being in the public interest --handing over the archives to them seems to be a very risky move, let alone our ongoing conversations about homeopathy. I am wondering whether it makes better sense to forward the archives to an already established homeopathy group for safekeeping - might stand a better chance at remaining safe from big tech censorship.

It seems that a number of members here are subscribed to additional group sites for homeopathy -- what do members here think about safekeeping the archives here at another homeopathy group site? Deb

Tanya Marquette

Post by Tanya Marquette »

Not sure I like the idea of warehousing our files elsewhere. We will have no control over them and

access may be difficult. I also question whether they would be kept intact under a Minutus file or

integrated into that groups files. Not a good idea.

As for privacy/surveillance--that was my first and biggest concern with Io but no other group has been

really discussed here and, to be a bore, our time is running out for saving these files. I also do not to

have to pay for membership to the group. I think most members will not pay, especially those who tend

to lurk quietly and those will financial limitations. So, nix on a fee for membership.

t

Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD

Post by Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD »

Pardon my naivety, but wouldn't it be safer and simpler if one or more members with some time and especially skills would collate all the emails exchanged, store the archives and be done with that, simply using any system to continue email conversations?
Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD.
"The greatest enemy of any science is a closed mind"

www.naturamedica.co.nz

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Hummmm, maybe I just sent part of an email.........

OK, there is a program that will download the list to an individuals computer.

If I remember correctly it's about $30US.

Atb,

Leilanae

Ellen Madono

Post by Ellen Madono »

l agree with Dr. Roz. Personally I have no interest in our file. When I see something of Interest, I immediately file it in my personal system where I can find it again. I have no capacity for data mining. I only know my own system.
Store it and decide later. Who really cares to have access. In my opinion homeopathy is also changing quickly. Our files are of no use for homeopathy.
Ellen

Bob Needham

Post by Bob Needham »

I was thinking along those lines too bob

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

I always did that too (saving those emails I wanted to reference) — but each computer change and/or major operating system change has caused me to lose my “path” back to them. So I’ve found the idea of being able to search the archives to be thrilling! Hah, maybe I could already do that now, if I bothered to get familiar with the Mintus.org website. Hm, I might as well explore…

But as to who cares to have access — there is some WONDERFUL material there. What I’ve especially wised I could access (and more, wishing I had made the time to collate and store it) were (1) Irene’s fabulous ICT (Innate Constitutional I think?) “sketches”. That’s excellent material. Also the “Name the Remedy” quizzes; and actually LOTS of threads from the past. But oh well…

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Joe,

What do you mea by “simply using any system to continue…”?
Do you mean don’t worry about being data-mined (personally I’m resigned), or something different?
We can simply continue here (Yahoogroups) for that matter, sans archives…

Shannon

Return to “Migration Archive”