group files

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Barbara Stephenson

Re: group files

Post by Barbara Stephenson »

Nothing goes "automatically" into the Files Section. Somebody (who has permission to do - again this can be controlled by the owner) can upload files, which might be of interest to the members of the relevant group.
e.g. in one of my own group which includes PSP (Paint Shop Pro) Tutorials, I have the tutorials uploaded in .imf (Incredimail) format. Before I had my website, I also used to upload them in .doc format.
A case I heard about which is very badly hit by yahoo doing away with anything other than being a mailing list is a group of parents who adopted children from abroad/adopted children with health and or emotional problems. In the Files section of the group they have lots of information about where to turn to for help and support. This is information which was collected over many years and absolutely invaluable for existing and possible new members in the future.
A group may have items in the Files Section, but doesn't have to if there is no need.
Barbara

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Hi Ellen,

My response #108390 was in reference to your email #108389.

Atb,

Leilanae

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Hi Tanya,

The conversation with Ellen was in reference to the currant situation in Iran.

Atb,

Leilanae

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Well, with this together with Barbara’s observation that the “Files” section was already inactive a month ago — maybe our whole record is in our past emails? That’s all I’ve ever used, but then I never did really get familiar with the website, so never really knew what I might be missing there. :-)

But—maintaining ability to search however much we can of the old email record, THAT I would find to be hugely valuable.

If no-one knows what was actually IN the Files, maybe there weren’t…?

Tanya Marquette

Post by Tanya Marquette »

I just think we need to get moving on this as we only have a few days left!

Why aren't others feeling the urgency I do?

t

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Hi Tanya,

Nothing has been mentioned about the privacy factor on a new list. We know there is a lot of data mining and most likely big money for health data info.
What are your thoughts about this? Is there a provider that offers a group list with confidentiality?
Atb,

Leilanae

Tanya Marquette

I am not sure about this Leilanae. However, doing nothing means that Minutus will be stripped of our ability to

save messages and goddess knows what else. For that matter, Yahoo participates in data mining so we would be

no worse off than we are now. I am not in love with Io but no one has come up with any other solution.

t

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Hey Leilani, how would we have confidentiality on any public list anywhere? And what information could be mined, since patient names are not being used?

I'm completely perplexed about what you think might happen, and what would make any of these other groups more prone to it then minutus already is, as a public group? Forgive me if I'm being dense or naive, but I don't get it.

Shannon

Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (16)

Tanya Marquette

Basically there is nothing on the internet that is safe from surveillance and data mining as the

boundaries keep getting pushed back as part of the efforts for total information on every person--this is the

old TIP program under Nixon, now coming upon us But there is still possibilities for us to communicate

while creating and owning our own history. Yahoo/Verizon as removed even that from us. So we need to

move now.
t

Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (16)

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Hi Tanya,

Good points!

Atb,

Leilanae

Return to “Migration Archive”