How to Save Archived Messages

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Debra Lamana

How to Save Archived Messages

Post by Debra Lamana »

Dear Soroush,
You and any member here can submit a request to Yahoo Groups for a download of the message archives. As the moderator for this
Group, you should receive a full set of all messages.
I am an owner and moderator of other Yahoo Groups, so I have already taken these steps.

The most recent instructions about the upcoming changes in Yahoo Groups are at the top of the Minutus home page in the top paragraph.
Click on 'Learn More', then click on the option that says,
'Understanding the Changes at Yahoo Groups' which will display the following, among several other questions that are answered:

Q. "How can I keep my Yahoo Groups content?
A. Photos and files can be saved right from the Yahoo Groups site, or you can download your data from the Privacy Dashboard.

When you click on the 'Privacy Dashboard' (it is the list of all of your Yahoo Groups), there is a single prompt to click to submit a request for the data download.
Several people that I have chatted with who have received their data have reported that they received data for every Yahoo Group that they are subscribed to. (You do not have to be an owner or moderator to submit a request for a data download.)

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask. Deb L.

Leilanae

Re: How to Save Archived Messages

Post by Leilanae »

Hi Deb L,
OK, I submitted a request. How long does it take to receive the data?

Atb,

Leilanae

Heidi

Post by Heidi »

You, Debra are a saint, in my eyes. Thanks for making this so easy - I will share this in other groups.
Heidi
Dear Soroush,
You and any member here can submit a request to Yahoo Groups for a download of the message archives. As the moderator for this
Group, you should receive a full set of all messages.
I am an owner and moderator of other Yahoo Groups, so I have already taken these steps.

The most recent instructions about the upcoming changes in Yahoo Groups are at the top of the Minutus home page in the top paragraph.

Click on 'Learn More', then click on the option that says,
'Understanding the Changes at Yahoo Groups' which will display the following, among several other questions that are answered:

Q. "How can I keep my Yahoo Groups content?
A. Photos and files can be saved right from the Yahoo Groups site, or you can download your data from the Privacy Dashboard.

When you click on the 'Privacy Dashboard' (it is the list of all of your Yahoo Groups), there is a single prompt to click to submit a request for the data download.
Several people that I have chatted with who have received their data have reported that they received data for every Yahoo Group that they are subscribed to. (You do not have to be an owner or moderator to submit a request for a data download.)

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask. Deb L.

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

I submitted my data download request about 2 weeks ago and am still waiting. From others I have spoken with it took 3-4 weeks and this was when YG first announced the option to request a data download. Hopefully the numbers of requests are fewer at this time and your data will be sent sooner.

Also, the data is sent in both zipped and unzipped file format for each group that you are subscribed to. The person I spoke with most recently said that her data was labelled as Mailbox 1, Mailbox 2 etc., for each set of messages that she was sent. So, it seems that the data will be more usable than what we thought earlier. Deb L.

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

Glad to be able to help make this easier for all of us, Heidi. Deb L.

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

I also wanted to let you know that once you submit the request for your data download, you should receive an email from Yahoo Groups stating that "Request confirmed for download of your data."
I believe that this confirmation email came within 24 hours of submitting the request. Deb L.

Tanya Marquette

Post by Tanya Marquette »

Debra

Much appreciate your efforts to save our history. Will the information be all our messages or just

files that some people may have uploaded? It is our messages that seem the most important to us.

Hopefully they will respond before their date for erasing our history!

t

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

Tanya,
I most recently heard from the new owner of two of Irene's groups and she said that she received all of the messages for each group and was able to decompress and open the 'huge' zip files. The good news is that the messages are divided up and labelled as 'Mailbox 1, Mailbox 2' etc.
They are in plain text format and open in Notepad. They are in date order, starting with the first message ever sent to each group. The first Mailbox contains all of the messages that Irene herself authored. Another Mailbox contains all of the messages authored by group members.

She received a separate 'Mailbox' of data for each Yahoo Group that she is subscribed to. It does seem that Yahoo Groups is doing a good job of making the data readable and usable for us. Deb L.

Return to “Migration Archive”