YG Changes

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Debra Lamana

YG Changes

Post by Debra Lamana »

In the listing of things that will go away, YG states that the Message Digest service will end, too. So, subscribers will only have the option to receive Individual messages as they post, as I understand this.

If you belong to several Groups, that means that you will now be receiving many more individual posts DAILY, which could discourage taking part in groups for which I previously only received Digests. I have to suspect that part of their goal may be that they intend for users to stop participating in multiple groups.

Also a concern if you belong to a Group with extensive information in Files. They were not specific about the date for the removal of Files data, however, does anyone know for certain whether this data should be there until the December 14 deadline?

Two months to do all of this is quite a huge disservice to all of us. Deb L.

Tanya Marquette

Re: YG Changes

Post by Tanya Marquette »

The other day I read an article by a super wealthy man whose point was that corporations/capitalists

needed to factor in community responsibility into their business plan. He was lambasting those corporations

that only though of their bottom line. Further, he felt that corporations needed to take the lead on setting
standards which were about 1% per annum as give back to the communities off which they profit.

YG clearly does not subscribe to the notion that they owe something to the people they have used for their
personal profit.
I, however, still believe that all the dialogue about controlling the public, and the given goal of the ruling elite

to bring the internet under control to do that is a major piece of this YG move. It goes with the FB shutting down

pages as well as Twitter, pages that promote humanistic values, talk about holistic healing and vaccine dangers.

Anti-GMO is also under attack as per Sayer Ji of GreenMedicineInformation. Push back on YG is really needed,
not passivity.
t

Barbara Stephenson

Post by Barbara Stephenson »

When yahoo groups become an email service only in December, daily digest will no longer work.

It is not clear at the moment if daily digest will work after next Sunday.
It is not clear if memberlists will be still available for owners/moderators to see and to edit after next Sunday.

I suggest that anybody on daily digest, special notice, no mail should be changed to individual email by the group member themselves or group owner/moderator before coming Sunday to make sure that contact is not lost.

Yahoo says that group owners will have limited access to group settings and administration tools. It is anybody’s guess what that means and how it will affect running groups.

Barbara

Sherill

Post by Sherill »

This is what I have been asking because I have not been able to access the files tab since before 10/18. I would like to be included if this gets answered offline. Thanks!

Sherill
From: minutus@yahoogroups.com [mailto:minutus@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:18 AM
To: minutus@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Minutus] YG Changes
... How could you access data in Files if not through the Group page? If anyone does have an answer to this, please advise. Thanks, Deb L.

Debra Lamana

Post by Debra Lamana »

Hi Sherrill and All,
Here is a link from the YG 'Changes' pages explaining that individual subscribers can submit a request to download all personal data from their groups at their Yahoo Groups Dashboard. It seems that the information that you will receive will be a data dump in machine code and that you will need to hire a translator service to put it into usable text form. There is of course a fee for the 'translation' of your data, and that is done by a separate service provider, not YG.

I would suggest that it would be worth one's time to copy information that you refer to regularly in Files, in any Group, for your own use as soon as possible. If the Group Home page can not be accessed after Oct. 28, I can not see how Files or Photos etc. could be accessed via email.
If there is a method to do this, it has not been made clear. If anyone knows the method to do this, please let us know.

Here is the link to submit a request for the data download. I am not taking this step as I suspect that the data dump will indeed be difficult to make usable. Deb L.
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/downlo ... 28671.html

Vicki Satta

Post by Vicki Satta »

Me too! I have no idea what is going on. I find it “hard to believe” that the list owner hasn’t responded to our questions. If he has, where are his responses? It seems impossible that our wonderful group could be destroyed by …. I better not go there.

So what is going on?

Vicki

Elizabeth Brandegee

Post by Elizabeth Brandegee »

Unable to access files already. Has anyone saved them and able to share?
Elizabeth

---In minutus@yahoogroups.com, wrote :
Hi Sherrill and All,
Here is a link from the YG 'Changes' pages explaining that individual subscribers can submit a request to download all personal data from their groups at their Yahoo Groups Dashboard. It seems that the information that you will receive will be a data dump in machine code and that you will need to hire a translator service to put it into usable text form. There is of course a fee for the 'translation' of your data, and that is done by a separate service provider, not YG.

I would suggest that it would be worth one's time to copy information that you refer to regularly in Files, in any Group, for your own use as soon as possible. If the Group Home page can not be accessed after Oct. 28, I can not see how Files or Photos etc. could be accessed via email.
If there is a method to do this, it has not been made clear. If anyone knows the method to do this, please let us know.

Here is the link to submit a request for the data download. I am not taking this step as I suspect that the data dump will indeed be difficult to make usable. Deb L.
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/downlo ... 28671.html

Chuck Solomon

Post by Chuck Solomon »

Mike is sure he can save the files save the group- think it will function like it has- maybe better- like emails ,not like Facebook witch Tanya doesn’t like . You are looking for someone to decide but no one is interested except you guys and time is short. He says the only owner is yahoo and they don’t care so he can still move to a safe functional platform and we think we can greatly expand reach of the group and be responsive to your wishes because we are an interested party, too. So maybe you should take a vote and let’s roll . If you are in other groups too, maybe we can save them too . Propose it. And maybe we can make cross control like you are talking about. There is so much positive stuff we can do and we are willing. Chuck
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Tanya Marquette

Post by Tanya Marquette »

Uh, Chuck, I hope it safe to assume you had a spelling error and are not calling me a 'witch'! I know Halloween is
around the corner but are we celebrating it here.

t

Chuck Solomon

Post by Chuck Solomon »

I didn’t notice the possibility of double meaning, I guess something creept in there
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Return to “Migration Archive”