Really interesting article re 1918 flu

Here you will find all the discussions from the time this group was hosted on YahooGroups and groups.io
You can browse through these topics and reply to them as needed.
It is not possible to start new topics in this forum. Please use the respective other forums most related to your topic.
Shannon Nelson

Really interesting article re 1918 flu

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Includes lots of detail about the “what happened then”. This flu went through the world in three waves, each with different characteristics and different levels of lethality, and then became much milder, and just blended in with the rest of the “seasonal flus”.

As I read, I was remembering statements from (?somewhere long back…?) that many deaths in (I thought it was that) pandemic were caused not by the illness itself, but by aspirin overdose. I have to say, reading this full description of events suggests that aspirin overdose doesn’t look like the biggest part of the problem. Longish and sobering, but a fascinating read.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... U4MDQ3MAS2

Steve Scrutton

Re: Really interesting article re 1918 flu

Post by Steve Scrutton »

Shannon - yes, your memory is correct - this is said about the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918 - that more deaths were caused by aspirin than the flu.

I’ve written something on that epidemic here, and some homeopaths at the time mentioned it
https://safe-medicine.blogspot.com/2018 ... ve-we.html

Steve Scrutton

Ellen Madono

Re: Really interesting article re 1918 flu

Post by Ellen Madono »

I cut out a few excerpts (Ellen Madono):
==
Yet there were warnings, ominous ones. Though few died in the spring, those who did were often healthy young adults—people whom influenza rarely kills. Here and there, local outbreaks were not so mild. At one French Army post of 1,018 soldiers, 688 were hospitalized and 49 died—5 percent of that population of young men, dead. And some deaths in the first wave were overlooked because they were misdiagnosed, often as meningitis.
==
At Wilson’s urging, Congress passed the Sedition Act, making it punishable with 20 years in prison to “utter, print, write or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of government of the United State...or to urge, incite, or advocate any curtailment of production in this country of any thing or things...necessary or essential to the prosecution of the war.” Government posters and advertisements urged people to report to the Justice Department anyone “who spreads pessimistic stories...cries for peace, or belittles our effort to win the war.”
==
The incubation period of influenza is two to three days.
==
After that third wave, the 1918 virus did not go away, but it did lose its extraordinary lethality, partly because many human immune systems now recognized it and partly because it lost the ability to easily invade the lungs. No longer a bloodthirsty murderer, it evolved into a seasonal influenza.
==
Why did so many young adults die? As it happens, young adults have the strongest immune systems, which attacked the virus with every weapon possible—including chemicals called cytokines and other microbe-fighting toxins—and the battlefield was the lung. These “cytokine storms” further damaged the patient’s own tissue. The destruction, according to the noted influenza expert Edwin Kilbourne, resembled nothing so much as the lesions from breathing poison gas.
==
In recent years, two different bird influenza viruses have been infecting people directly: the H5N1 strain has struck in many nations, while H7N9 is still limited to China (see “The Birth of a Killer”). All told, these two avian influenza viruses had killed 1,032 out of the 2,439 people infected as of this past July—a staggering mortality rate. Scientists say that both virus strains, so far, bind only to cells deep in the lung and do not pass from person to person. If either one acquires the ability to infect the upper respiratory tract, through mutation or by swapping genes with an existing human virus, a deadly pandemic is possible.
==
Another key step to improving pandemic readiness is to expand research on antiviral drugs; none is highly effective against influenza, and some strains have apparently acquired resistance to the antiviral drug Tamiflu.
==
The participant with the first move was a top-ranking public health official. What did he do? He declined to hold a press conference, and instead just released a statement: More tests are required. The patient might not have pandemic influenza. There is no reason for concern.

I was stunned. This official had not actually told a lie, but he had deliberately minimized the danger; whether or not this particular patient had the disease, a pandemic was coming. The official’s unwillingness to answer questions from the press or even acknowledge the pandemic’s inevitability meant that citizens would look elsewhere for answers, and probably find a lot of bad ones. Instead of taking the lead in providing credible information he instantly fell behind the pace of events. He would find it almost impossible to get ahead of them again. He had, in short, shirked his duty to the public, risking countless lives.

And that was only a game.

Return to “Minutus YahooGroup Archives”