Moving archives to another site (See***)

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Debra Lamana

Moving archives to another site (See***)

Post by Debra Lamana »

Thanks for this info, Barbara. Just to clarify something . . . if you already have a copy of the downloaded messages, why would there still be a need to use PG offline?
And, are you explaining that there is still a fee of $150 (even if you have the messages) and this amount is payable to Groups.io to move the archives there?

Re: BIH, Maria wrote that she needs someone with the technical expertise to advise her tech staff about moving the archives. That would not be me, as I do not have a copy of the archives and the technical side of this is not something I could advise on.

***Would you or Hennie or ? be willing to take on the technical side of moving the archives so that the group has someone able to act on this, whether the archives go to Group.io or BIH?
Is there anyone else here who can help with the technical part of ensuring that the archives are able to be moved? ***

If those in roles of leadership are not able to help the group move forward with plans, it does seem clear that members will need to be the ones to take on the move to a new group/site.
Agreement/disagreement?

***Who would be willing to help out with raising the funds for a move to Groups.io? Or is there a Group benefactor out there? :) ***

Thanks in advance to those who are willing to pitch in to help. Deb
I have the yahoo download and the PG Offline content of the group (apart from the messages from last week).

There is no way the messages can be uploaded as is to io. I don’t know if there is a way to upload the yahoo download in a way it is accessible. I know Mark offered it at some point, but he doesn’t take any more requests and is now on a well deserved vacation for the next 3 weeks.

PG Offline 2 has just come out, it comes at a price. To buy a license and upload almost 110.000 Minutus messages into a subgroup (so it would be separate to posts to the io group) would cost 150 Dollars.

I do not know if BIH has a way to use either the yahoo or PG offline downloads and make it accessible on their website. I do not know enough about building websites. But I certainly would be happy to pass on my downloads for further use.
I understand that the yahoo download can be accessed with Thunderbird. However, I have not tried that out. The PG offline download does have the messages.
The yahoo download is a 223 MB zip. The files are in .mbox format. I do not know if I have the messages complete.
The PG Offline download is a .db3 file 689 Mb.

By the way, I have a very short questionnaire for the io group, which needs to be returned before I approve new members. It is just to say that it is a discussion group and not a group to ask for help for themselves and ask why they want to join (one brief sentence is enough).

Barbara

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD

Re: Moving archives to another site (See***)

Post by Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD »

How about creating a new discussion group on MeWe, which works kind of similarly to FaecesPuke but without all the problems and privacy issues.

I think it is then possible to send an invitation to join to all Minutus members (whoever has the list has to do that) and I also seem to remember that, like FB, there is a possibility to upload files.

I seriously have no time or ability to do that but months ago when I checked MeWe it seemed OK.
Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD.
"The greatest enemy of any science is a closed mind"

www.naturamedica.co.nz

Tanya Marquette

Post by Tanya Marquette »

My previous point is that Yahoo has ended the service for fee to move group files.

We are on our own now and I am not sure whether we can even do this anymore. Need this checked out.

t

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Tanya Marquette

MeWe is not that friendly Roz.

And a look at it shows how few are using it.

It also does not allow the saving of files as I understand.

Further, members will not be friendly to having to sign up again. Other groups are reporting

this problem which reflect human nature regarding the internet.

t

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD

Post by Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD »

OK, so we are stuck in a rut... then I guess the only thing that will happen is that we will stay here and it will become anyone's responsibility to save whatever they want to save.

As for the "archives', if anyone wants to look up something, it could be asked here and those who have saved them might be willing to search for others.
Dr. Joe Rozencwajg, NMD.
"The greatest enemy of any science is a closed mind"

www.naturamedica.co.nz

Tanya Marquette

No Roz. It means we need to find out if Io can still let us upload our files and we have to do it ourselves.

We can also research other platforms which we discussed but did not do.

t

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Hennie Duits

Post by Hennie Duits »

I’ve uploaded “export Minutus 1 en 2.7z” to pCloud. pCloud is like
Dropbox, but with more and free options. This .7z (zipped file) has
Minutus messages 1-108245 (up to 28-20-2019) as .html (divided over 2
Minutus directories).
You can download this .7z file – let me know and I’ll send you a
download link. You do *not* need pCloud for this. The zipped file is
about 63 MB. After unzipping, you may need a two step procedure to
search the messages for key words.

For Windows, you may have to download and install the 7-zip software to
extract these files. 7-zip
is free, and, say I, easy to use. If you are on a Mac, you may need to
download and install The Unarchiver to extract 7-zip files. Google for
“7-zip” or “The Unarchiver”, the first hits you get probably will be the
correct ones.

There could well be a way to have these files, unzipped, on a Groups.io
group (or any other place), but I don’t feel like finding out how to do
that.

Hennie
Op 16-12-2019 om 0:30 schreef 'Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD'
homeosensei101@gmail.com [minutus]:

Hennie Duits

Post by Hennie Duits »

My feeling is that the vast majority of the members of the Minutus list
*seem to do not care at all* if over 20 years of accumulated wisdom,
experience etc. gets lost forever. There seems to be just a handful of
members that *do* see the value of this. I feel future efforts to save
etc. the minutus goldmine should keep this in mind.

Hennie

Op 16-12-2019 om 0:30 schreef 'Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD'
homeosensei101@gmail.com [minutus]:

Jean Doherty

Post by Jean Doherty »

Gems of Joy's , Rosemary Stanton ,Julian, Krsihnamurti , Robyn Foley, Dale, Irene ,Joe ,Rochelle, Shannon who is always kind in acknowledging people and others are certainly worth keeping.
Sorry have not added more to discussion as have loved the group but am winding down a bit,
Best Wishes, to all, Jean

Tanya Marquette

I think you got Peter Walker's post and my response.
Personally I don't like to work with zip files as I have never had luck with them

And Dropbox was very limited and wanting money to expand.

But the main thing is that we need a living archive that can be added as we post

and that we can research when needed.

t

Return to “Migration Archive”