Move Minutus to Groups.io

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Roger

Move Minutus to Groups.io

Post by Roger »

A large group that I am a member of (9000 members) has moved to Groups.io.
I find it to be a much better platform, less buggy, better searching.
I know that there has been some discussion of moving Minutus.
What is needed to make this happen?
Roger

Tanya Marquette

Re: Move Minutus to Groups.io

Post by Tanya Marquette »

What I gather from an ex-Yahoo group is

1. Someone needs to contact Yahoo to download all our files/messages

2. hile we miss Ardavan and hope he is well, we have just about run out of time to save the group with its contacts and files.

Debra has contacted Yahoo and is waiting for them to send her our files.
3. The alterative is to pay Yahoo to migrate the group files and member contacts. This other group raised $$ using paypal

and paid Yahoo to do this.

t
Attachments
SILICA cats.docx
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
SULPHUR.docx
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
THYMUS after vax.jpg
THYMUS after vax.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
THYMUS before vax.jpg
THYMUS before vax.jpg (8 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
THYMUS GLAND.docx
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Barbara Stephenson

Post by Barbara Stephenson »

A group on io already exists, however, without the old history and not premium.
While some people had excellent results with the yahoo download, some have had no success at all. As with everything else yahoo groups is totally unreliable. And there is zero help from yahoo regarding groups, even if you pay the fee for support.
If it is possible to get the download from yahoo in mbox format, Mark (the owner of io groups) announced yesterday that he can import into an io group if that group is premium (one year / $220).
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/ ... hoo-Groups (at the very bottom).
I guess this latest development is to help the very many groups with absent owners who can not transfer group content otherwise.
I know that at least one member in this group was able to download with PG Offline, but there is no way (yet) to upload as an integral part of "Messages".
Barbara

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

My vote would be that we (a) upgrade the already-existing-bit-still-empty(?) Minutus group (shell?) on Io, and (b) upgrade it for one year to Premium, and (c) have Io move our files there! Especially given the IMO very reasonable price of $220, to me this seems like a no-brainer.

If the group agrees to move forward with this, and if someone can / will set up the Paypal so that we can make the payment, I know the payment will be made. One possible approach would be to take “raised hands” for those willing to contribute (raising mine!), and we’ll work it out from there — barring possible need of further “technical” explanations for the dinosaurs among us. :0)

Is anyone vehemently opposed at this point?

Shannon
A group on io already exists, however, without the old history and not premium.
While some people had excellent results with the yahoo download, some have had no success at all. As with everything else yahoo groups is totally unreliable. And there is zero help from yahoo regarding groups, even if you pay the fee for support.
If it is possible to get the download from yahoo in mbox format, Mark (the owner of io groups) announced yesterday that he can import into an io group if that group is premium (one year / $220).
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/ ... hoo-Groups (at the very bottom).
I guess this latest development is to help the very many groups with absent owners who can not transfer group content otherwise.
I know that at least one member in this group was able to download with PG Offline, but there is no way (yet) to upload as an integral part of "Messages".
Barbara

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

Barbara,
Is the io list you refer to one of the new lists you started?

Atb,

Leilanae

Barbara Stephenson

Post by Barbara Stephenson »

Yes, it is this group: https://groups.io/g/Minutus.
And I have made it very clear that I have no plans to remain the owner, but am more than happy to hand this group over to somebody who is respected by this group. I am willing - if wished - to stay in the background as moderator for a time because of my experience with owning several io groups for well over a year.
It would make sense if several people tried to download the content of the yahoo group as the system is totally broken and io can not import groups at the moment.
I will not have access to my computer for a week now, so I am limited what I can do. I will have my cellphone and tablet with me though.
Barbara

Return to “Migration Archive”