A different focus?

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Shannon Nelson

A different focus?

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Barbara, thanks for pointing this out, that email functionality will not go away. That's good to know, though I realize that isn't useful for all of us.

In that case, the biggest issues become (1) availability of Digest, and (2) how or whether we can preserve the archives.

Personally I'm not sure just what is in them. I think Ardavan's past quizzes, "Fnd the Remedy," I think those are part of it, and those were very good. I don't even have my information for how to log in, so I can't take the time to look for myself.

But if someone is able to take the initiative to try to simply save the archives, that could change the focus of the search. We could initially use a different site to save the archives to, even if that is not the same site chosen for the active group. That could be a way of saving them (somewhere) past the December 18th date.

In that case tho, I think someone would need to coordinate with, or get permission from, Ardavan.

Or we can just keep going here without archives or Digest until a better venue is found. Though I understand the concerns about censorship, it has not been a problem for us yet.

Other than occasional efforts to censor each other for anti-social behavior etc.

I'm trying to make a tiny little joke here...

Shannon

Shannon
May I suggest to you that you build something on your preferred platform and present it to the members here?
I have just had another read of the Yahoo announcement.
On the top of the group homepage it says:
Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members
If you click on "Learn more" it says:
What will happen on October 28?
On October 28, you will no longer be able to upload any content to the site. To share info with members of your groups, you'll continue to be able to do so via email.
My understanding of this is that in 2 days new postings to the group will not go into "Conversations", but be just an email. If correct, only people on "individual email" will get anything, all on digest will not get anything. There will be no access to new postings on the group homepage.
This is why under the impression of the urgency I opened the group with io groups. It does not mean that this group has to move to io groups. I just wanted to create a place where people could stay in touch until such a time that a decision about the future of the group and its members can be made.
Don't forget, that with not more precise information from yahoo it is anybody's guess what will happen and in what timeframe until December 14 and of course the owner could close this group at any time without asking anybody.
Barbara

Barbara Stephenson

Re: A different focus?

Post by Barbara Stephenson »

I remember Ardavan's quizzes and I used to enjoy them a lot :).
Archive = all the messages. So it is not just the quizzes, but everything that was ever written and is currently under "Conversations" on the group homepage.
I also just saw that there is content in "Photos" and content in "Links".
This is what yahoo says:
What features will go away?
Files
Polls
Links
Photos
Folders
Calendar
Database
Attachments
Conversations
Email Updates
Message Digest
Message History
Barbara

Vicki Satta

Post by Vicki Satta »

Good just ask Ryan what to do on Monday. I think YOU have to be the new listowner because you are the one who cares. Good luck…

Ryan Ryan Ryan!
I remember Ardavan's quizzes and I used to enjoy them a lot :).
Archive = all the messages. So it is not just the quizzes, but everything that was ever written and is currently under "Conversations" on the group homepage.
I also just saw that there is content in "Photos" and content in "Links".
This is what yahoo says:
What features will go away?
Files
Polls
Links
Photos
Folders
Calendar
Database
Attachments
Conversations
Email Updates
Message Digest
Message History
Barbara

Vicki Satta

Post by Vicki Satta »

Shannon PLEASE. I have asked Ryan (the Yahoo guy who is VERY SMART) and he knows everything. He told me days ago to do the polling. I put the word out. Barbara knows what she is doing. Help her. I can’t remember what Ryan said in his own words, but take action early on Monday. He said to do the polling and that you can choose
May I suggest to you that you build something on your preferred platform and present it to the members here?
I have just had another read of the Yahoo announcement.
On the top of the group homepage it says:
Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members
If you click on "Learn more" it says:
What will happen on October 28?
On October 28, you will no longer be able to upload any content to the site. To share info with members of your groups, you'll continue to be able to do so via email.
My understanding of this is that in 2 days new postings to the group will not go into "Conversations", but be just an email. If correct, only people on "individual email" will get anything, all on digest will not get anything. There will be no access to new postings on the group homepage.
This is why under the impression of the urgency I opened the group with io groups. It does not mean that this group has to move to io groups. I just wanted to create a place where people could stay in touch until such a time that a decision about the future of the group and its members can be made.
Don't forget, that with not more precise information from yahoo it is anybody's guess what will happen and in what timeframe until December 14 and of course the owner could close this group at any time without asking anybody.
Barbara

Leilanae

Post by Leilanae »

What ever the reason............this is taking something that does NOT belong to you and exposing a LOT of people's confidential medical information to google and Facebook. There must be laws governing this, perhaps a legal consult before the doo-doo gets any deeper.

Atb,

Leilanae

Chuck Solomon

Post by Chuck Solomon »

There is a old joke about when the doo-doo is piled higher and deeper - that’s a PhD. Long time to find lawyers who know the legal truth - short time o
To loose data, probably will. We will probably create a Wordpress Portal for homeopathy and invite joiners ASAP,
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 7:09 PM, leilanae@verizon.net [minutus] wrote: ever the reason............this is taking something that does NOT belong to you and exposing a LOT of people's confidential medical information to google and Facebook. There must be laws governing this, perhaps a legal consult before the doo-doo gets any deeper.k

Return to “Migration Archive”