The Future on Minutus - Alternatives to groups.io

In this forum, we have placed all the messages related to migrating the YahooGroup to this Forum so you can see what happened. These messages have been moved here from the YahooGroups Archive. The forum has been locked, no new posts allowed.
Peter Walker
Site Admin

Re: The Future on Minutus - Alternatives to groups.io

Post by Peter Walker »

Hi Everyone,

We are at a unique time as regards to the future of your group. We are currently in the process of moving your group to groups.io, yet there are two open issues that are making people hesitant to fully embrace this move. In this post, I want to discuss those two issues and let you know about an alternative solution.
The first major issue is that your archives have not yet been ported to groups.io and it will cost at least $300 to do so. I setup a place to donate for that to happen and just $10 has come in so far. It appears that your group do not value the restauration of your past archives by investing such a small sum to restore them. The only current means of individually seeing your archives is via a windows archive for $8.99 and only a few people have ordered even that. So, either we leave it at that and those that want to see your past discussions simply buy the windows archive or we have to raise the funds and perform the upgrade. https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php
There is however another issue that is causing concern and that is the banning of discussions on anti-vaccination methods on groups.io and that is concerning some people. While your group is not about that topic, it has occasionally come up in past discussions and I can understand people being wary of any kind of censorship.
I have written a long message to the owner of groups.io asking for clarification on their policy and am awaiting the response. Either he allows reasonable discussions on vaccinations that are not anti-vaccination oriented or the topic has to be banned outright if you stay on groups.io – that decision is still pending until we get an answer. My suggestion is simply to join my Rife Forum as well (free) and have your vaccine related discussions there: http://www.rifeforum.com
Anyway, in this message, I would like to discuss an alternative solution that may be a better solution for your group.
Instead of moving to groups.io, it is possible to migrate your posts to a phpBB forum https://www.phpbb.com that could run on your own website. Then you would be independent of any third parties and could post on any topic you like without restrictions. This is what I did with my Rife Forum (except I used the more expensive vBulletin instead) and that has been going strong since 2002.
The conversion and setting up would still cost money – we are again talking of about $300 to get this working and another thing to consider is that forums work by posting online, not via email. That means that you would have to visit the forum to take part in discussions instead of replying to an email. Personally, I find that an advantage as discussions can be sorted into categories and it is much easier to read past discussions.
Anyway, I have setup a poll so that you can all vote on what you want to do. At the same place, you can also donate towards implementing either solution.

https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php - Poll is further down the page. https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#donate or https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#poll
Should you guys not even be able to raise the $300 for this, then there is nothing more I can do for you and you will have to live with what you have now. Your group has been using up a lot of my time and effort for which I am not being paid and I need to get back to working on my other projects that at least help me to pay my bills. It is now up to you to vote and donate in order to determine your future as a group.

Regards

Peter Walker
The Rife Forum
www.rife.de
www.rifewiki.org
www.rifeshop.com
www.rifeforum.com
groups.rifeforum.com
groups.io/g/rifeforum
rifegroup.groups.io/g/Rife
gadgetheaven.net

Peter Walker
Site Admin

The Future on Minutus - Alternatives to groups.io

Post by Peter Walker »

Hi Everyone,

We are at a unique time as regards to the future of your group. We are currently in the process of moving your group to groups.io, yet there are two open issues that are making people hesitant to fully embrace this move. In this post, I want to discuss those two issues and let you know about an alternative solution.
The first major issue is that your archives have not yet been ported to groups.io and it will cost at least $300 to do so. I setup a place to donate for that to happen and just $10 has come in so far. It appears that your group do not value the restauration of your past archives by investing such a small sum to restore them. The only current means of individually seeing your archives is via a windows archive for $8.99 and only a few people have ordered even that. So, either we leave it at that and those that want to see your past discussions simply buy the windows archive or we have to raise the funds and perform the upgrade. https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php
There is however another issue that is causing concern and that is the banning of discussions on anti-vaccination methods on groups.io and that is concerning some people. While your group is not about that topic, it has occasionally come up in past discussions and I can understand people being wary of any kind of censorship.
I have written a long message to the owner of groups.io asking for clarification on their policy and am awaiting the response. Either he allows reasonable discussions on vaccinations that are not anti-vaccination oriented or the topic has to be banned outright if you stay on groups.io – that decision is still pending until we get an answer. My suggestion is simply to join my Rife Forum as well (free) and have your vaccine related discussions there: http://www.rifeforum.com
Anyway, in this message, I would like to discuss an alternative solution that may be a better solution for your group.
Instead of moving to groups.io, it is possible to migrate your posts to a phpBB forum https://www.phpbb.com that could run on your own website. Then you would be independent of any third parties and could post on any topic you like without restrictions. This is what I did with my Rife Forum (except I used the more expensive vBulletin instead) and that has been going strong since 2002.
The conversion and setting up would still cost money – we are again talking of about $300 to get this working and another thing to consider is that forums work by posting online, not via email. That means that you would have to visit the forum to take part in discussions instead of replying to an email. Personally, I find that an advantage as discussions can be sorted into categories and it is much easier to read past discussions.
Anyway, I have setup a poll so that you can all vote on what you want to do. At the same place, you can also donate towards implementing either solution.

https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php - Poll is further down the page. https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#donate or https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#poll
Should you guys not even be able to raise the $300 for this, then there is nothing more I can do for you and you will have to live with what you have now. Your group has been using up a lot of my time and effort for which I am not being paid and I need to get back to working on my other projects that at least help me to pay my bills. It is now up to you to vote and donate in order to determine your future as a group.
P.S. This message has also been sent to the YahooGroup.

Ellen Madono

Post by Ellen Madono »

Hi,

I like this online discussion group suggestion by Peter.

It will be hard for me to change my habits, (only looking at my email), but I can change more easily than I can endure censorship and further possibilities of larger forms of web control.

Also, I know that presorting large typical topics can make participation in the group more useful to a casual outsider. Simpler search capacity is also very useful. I am sure many of us have participated in forums that are organized that way. Topics like Need advice, Cases to solve, Political issues, Quizzes, Analytical methods.... I am sure we can come up with a good list of typical topics.

Peter, what is the more expensive platform that you bought like and how much was it? From participating in many forums that have been updated, I know that the bells and whistles make a difference. But it seems we would need a more active moderator.

I have not participated, but I know that Facebook has drawn away much participation in Minutus. Now, I believe they are also becoming the object of witch hunts similar to what we are experiencing. It would be very useful to provide a better forum interface that is privately owned.

Best,
Ellen

Peter Walker
Site Admin

Post by Peter Walker »

Things are moving fast with the forum idea. I discussed this with the programmer that made the Windows software archive and he tells me he can port your data to that forum and maybe even make it that you can post via email as well. This is a new system that has just been completed and the Minutus group will be the first live test of this system.

So please start to get the funds together as this is moving forward quickly and you might have a new forum in time for Christmas!!!

The new forum will be running on my webserver in Germany and therefore guaranteed no censorship (within reason, we don't accept personal attacks on other people). I am confident this new home will fulfill your needs very well.

Peter Walker
Site Admin

Post by Peter Walker »

Here is the first look at your new home. The messages from the YahooGroup will be inserted into this forum in the coming days and then tested. I will release new screenshots as the project progresses through the testing phase.
It will run on the same webserver as rifeforum.com and there are no issues with censorship. If all works to plan, it will be possible to post and receive messages via emails as well (this is a new feature that needs testing).

We urgently need to raise $300 to fund the setup of this project. You can donate via PayPal or credit card here: https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#donate

P.S. I have just installed a new email redirect to the YahooGroup - this is the first test. If this works as planned, ALL new posts on this groups.io group will be automatically sent to the Yahoogroup as well.
Therefore - PLEASE STOP SENDING MESSAGES TO BOTH GROUPS - THAT IS NOW AUTOMATIC,

Regards

Peter Walker
(having worked through the night until 06:45 am local time to get this far).

Peter Walker
Site Admin

Post by Peter Walker »

Here is the first look at your new home. The messages from the YahooGroup will be inserted into this forum in the coming days and then tested. I will release new screenshots as the project progresses through the testing phase.
It will run on the same webserver as rifeforum.com and there are no issues with censorship. If all works to plan, it will be possible to post and receive messages via emails as well (this is a new feature that needs testing).

We urgently need to raise $300 to fund the setup of this project. You can donate via PayPal or credit card here: https://groups.rifeforum.com/minutus.php#donate

P.S. I have just installed a new email redirect to the YahooGroup - this is the first test. If this works as planned, ALL new posts on this groups.io group will be automatically sent to the Yahoogroup as well.
Therefore - PLEASE STOP SENDING MESSAGES TO BOTH GROUPS - THAT IS NOW AUTOMATIC,

Regards

Peter Walker
(having worked through the night until 06:45 am local time to get this far).

Victoria Mashevsky

Post by Victoria Mashevsky »

Yes! "It will be hard for me to change my habits, (only looking at my email), but I can change more easily than I can endure censorship and further possibilities of larger forms of web control." I have participated on Dr. Stoll BB in my pre-homeopathic years and would rather be inconvenienced by BB format than trying to work around .io arbitrary decisions on what is allowed based on current politically correct notions.

Victoria M-Sky
about.me/VictoriaM

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Peter this looks beautiful! And—I am trying again to make a payment, but again I can’t bring myself to check “I accept” to the conditions list, without first understanding them.

First, what’s being referred to as the permissions for agencies to “link to” the site?

And second, what does this part actually mean?

-------------------------
Disclaimer
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all representations, warranties and conditions relating to our website and the use of this website. [emph mine; all good so far, but] Nothing in this disclaimer will:

* limit or exclude our or your liability for death or personal injury;
* limit or exclude our or your liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; [emphasis added. This appears to be saying that “you” or “we” may incur liability for death or personal injury, or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, but the use of this service. “Nothing in this disclaimer will: limit or exclude…liability for…” ????
* limit any of our or your liabilities in any way that is not permitted under applicable law; or
* exclude any of our or your liabilities that may not be excluded under applicable law.

————————
I don’t know, but this may be the / a reason why you haven’t received more donations. Please can you explain — or better, can you assure us those conditions won’t apply to the new home?

And if so, can you give us a way to make payment without accepting the above?

Shannon

Shannon Nelson

Post by Shannon Nelson »

Oops I should have included the next paragraph, which is much more reassuring but seems at odds with what I just copied:

"The owners of this website do not engage in the practice of medicine; we are not a medical authority, nor do we claim to have medical knowledge. In all cases we recommend that you consult your own physician regarding any course of treatment or medicine. We cannot of course accept any responsibility for any actions made based on what is read on this forum or website, or anywhere else.”
????????????

Peter Walker
Site Admin

Post by Peter Walker »

Hi Shannon

most of that text was from one of those legal websites that provide ready-to-use terms and conditions. I read your comments and have made appropriate changes to the text. I hope all is OK now. Thanks for making me aware of these issues. I am not a lawyer and trusted that the texts provided by lawyers were OK. Most people do not read them, anyway.

Regards

Peter Walker
The Rife Forum
www.rife.de
www.rifewiki.org
www.rifeshop.com
www.rifeforum.com
groups.rifeforum.com
groups.io/g/rifeforum
rifegroup.groups.io/g/Rife
gadgetheaven.net

Return to “Migration Archive”